Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, created to honor the father of American old school tattooing, Norman “Sailor Jerry” Collins, has partnered with Fleet Week organizers in Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco to bring one-of-a-kind events and experiences to service members and their supporters.
The west coast events will kick off on Friday, September 2nd, 2016 in Los Angeles and San Diego and continue through October 8th, 2016 in San Francisco.
Norman “Sailor Jerry” Collins was a Navy vet who built his rep inking soldiers and sailors in WWII-era Honolulu where he established his legendary tattoo parlor and himself as the undisputed father of American old-school tattooing. At 19, Collins joined the U.S. Navy where he was exposed to the art and culture of Southeast Asia that would later shape his legacy. After the Navy, Collins made WWII-era Honolulu his home and continued honing his skills as a tattoo artist.
Sailors on Shore Leave in Honolulu would wait in line for hours outside Collins’ Hotel Street tattoo shop to be inked by the master himself. While iconic for his tattoos, Collins also was a licensed skipper of a large three-masted schooner, played the saxophone in his own band, and frequently hosted a radio show. These personal passions are now celebrated through Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum and shared with likeminded individuals.
“Norman Collins was a military man with a profound appreciation for the service and those who serve. By supporting Fleet Week, Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum is carrying on his legacy and thanking, supporting and celebrating our amazing Sailors, Marines and Coast Guardsmen. We are honored to participate and look forward to producing some unforgettable experiences for attendees.”
– Josh Hayes, Senior Brand Manager for Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum
Highlights of Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum’s involvement at Fleet Week events include
- SAN DIEGO: Starting in San Diego on Friday, September 2nd, the House of Blues (1055 Fifth Ave, San Diego, CA 92101) will feature live music from Fan Halen, a Van Halen cover band, complimentary Norman Collins flash tattoos from up and coming local tattoo artists Adam Harper and Isaac Combs of Chapter One Tattoo, and Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum cocktails. Military guests will receive $5 discounted tickets at the door. Others wishing to attend can claim their tickets on Live Nation.
- LOS ANGELES: At Los Angeles’ first-ever Fleet Week, guests can enjoy cocktails, food and entertainment from September 3rd – 5th at the Battleship IOWA (250 S Harbor Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90731). Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum signature cocktails will be served at Sailors Bar from 11am – 6pm. Food trucks such as Dogtown Dogs, Greenz on Wheelz, Peaches Smokehouse, Cousin’s Maine Lobster, Slammin’ Sliders, Mapuche Native and A ROCKin ICE will be serving up provisions. In addition to cocktails and treats, guest will enjoy musical performances, giveaways and a special appearance from the Sailor Jerry Knucklehead Motorcycle.
- SAN FRANCISCO: Those attending the San Francisco Fleet Week on October 8th and 9th can watch the Blue Angels at the Marina Green (Marina Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94123) with Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum signature cocktails. Other giveaways and surprises are expected.
More information and a calendar of events for each of these Fleet Week celebrations can be found online at each organization’s website.
- San Diego Fleet Week: FleetWeekSanDiego.org
- Los Angeles Fleet Week: LAFleetWeek.com
- San Francisco Fleet Week: FleetWeekSF.org
To learn more about Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, visit SailorJerry.com.