April 6th, 2015 marks National Tartan Day, a holiday in recognition of Scottish-Americans’ contributions to America.
In the weeks leading up to the date, celebrations will be taking place throughout the country including festivals, parades and whisky tastings.
This National Tartan Day, celebrate by rocking your favorite Tartan garb and toasting with a glass of Laphroaig in honor of Scottish tradition.
Laphroaig Plaid and Peated
- 1 part Laphroaig® Quarter Cask Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- 1/2 part Dry Vermouth
- 1/2 part Cynar
- 1/2 part Elderflower Liqueur
Preparation: Combine all ingredients in mixing glass with ice, stir well and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
In honor of the holiday, here are some fun facts about Scottish Heritage:
- Over eleven million Americans claim Scottish and Scotch-Irish roots – making them the eighth largest ethnic group in the United States.
- Tartan only became popular after Queen Victoria expressed her fondness for all things Scottish.
- Scottish inventions include television, ATM cash machines, RADAR, fingerprinting, the ultrasound and MRI scanners.
- Scotland’s top export destination is the USA, outside the UK.
- The world’s first color photograph was of a Tartan ribbon.