The House of Angostura hosted events in seven markets across the U.S. to celebrate the launch of their Cocoa Bitters.
After each event, Chilled challenged the bartenders to create a cocktail in the #ChilledCocoaContest. The events were hosted by Matthias Merges, Proprietor of Folkart Management which includes Billy Sunday, and Stephen Andrews the manager/head bartender at Chicago’s Billy Sunday, two industry veterans, and all cocktails judged by Chilled 100 Director, Wendy Hodges and North American Angostura Brand Ambassador, Chad Lawrence.
Each group had a finalist who will win a $500 prize before moving to the grand finale, where they have a chance to win an additional $1,000.
Led by Chilled 100 Ambassador, Meaghan Montagano, the event was a hit.
New York City was the next market to celebrate the launch of Cocoa Bitters. Zev Glesta won the judges over with his Tangostura cocktail.
Zev (raisezbar) created this drink to enhance the cocoa bitter characteristics. “This light highball will remove us from the dark gloomy winter skies and bring us to the beaches of Trinidad.”
- 1 drop Saline Solution
- 2 dash Angostura Aromatic Bitters
- 1/8 oz. of Angostura Cocoa Bitters
- 1/4 oz. Maraschino
- 1/2 oz. Seville Orange Vanilla Syrup*
- 1 1/2 oz. Angostura 7 Year
- 3 oz. Dry Ginger Beer
Preparation: Place all ingredients except ginger beer and aromatic bitters into a shaker. Shake and double strain over an ice filled highball and top with ginger beer and aromatic bitters. Garnish with an orange slice, sour orange, and dark chocolate shavings.
*Seville Orange Vanilla Syrup
- Zest 4 Seville oranges into 8 oz (by volume) of caster sugar
- Mix vigorously and let sit for 10 minutes
- Juice all of the oranges (looking for a yield of 6 oz, plus 2 additional ounces of water)
- Mix wet with dry and add 1/4 oz of vanilla extract
- Strain through a cheese cloth and refrigerate
- Keep up to 2 weeks!