When they realized that the German bar scene was missing access to bitters, Stephan Berg and Alexander Hauck took a bold move – and started a company.
Since 2006, The Bitter Truth has quickly become known as one of the top producers of unique spirits, liqueurs, waters, and bitters. The company currently makes over 20 unique products, including 13 distinct flavors of bitters.
Before they launched a company, Berg and Hauck had both built up an incredible history of behind the bar experience and had made countless batches of bitters for their respective bars by hand. Berg even had an almost academic interest in the subject – with an impressive collection of both current and historical bitters and knowledge of historic recipes.
With the popularity of craft cocktails and cocktail bitters on the rise, The Bitter Truth offers a full range of unique flavors to cater to the imaginative bartender. Not only does their line allow for perfect recreations of historic drinks, but they offer creative freedom to invent new classics.
Ultimately, the reason for the launch of the company and the continued addition of new products is all to help both professional bartenders and at-home enthusiasts make a better cocktail. Berg and Hauck knew from experience that there was a desire for inventive and high quality bitters, and that creating them would help the entire industry build better drinks.
Give the line a try with any of these spectacular drinks!
- 2 oz. Brandy
- 1/2 barspoon The Bitter Truth – Bogart’s Bitters
- 15 ml Orgeat Syrup
- 1-2 pieces Lemon Peel
Preparation: Pour all ingredients into a tumbler filled with ice and stir.
Lion’s Tail Cocktail
- 2 oz. Rye or Bourbon Whiskey
- 1/2 oz. The Bitter Truth – Pimento Dram
- 1/2 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 tsp Sugar Syrup (1:1)
- 1 dash The Bitter Truth – Aromatic Bitters
Preparation: Shake with ice & strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- 1 oz. The Bitter Truth – Pink Gin
- 1 oz. The Bitter Truth – Elderflower Liqueur
- 1 dash The Bitter Truth – Cucumber Bitters
Preparation: Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
The Bitter Truth Bloody Mary
- 2 oz. Vodka or Gin
- 3-4 dashes The Bitter Truth – Celery Bitters
- 1/3 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 8 oz. Tomato Juice
- Tabasco, Worcestershire Sauce, Salt & Pepper
Preparation: Shake with ice & strain into a long drink glass.
Right Hand Cocktail
- 45 ml (1 1/2 oz.) Tiki Lovers Dark Rum
- 30 ml (1 oz.) Sweet Red Vermouth
- 30 ml (1 oz.) Italian Red Bitter Liqueur
- 2 dashes The Bitter Truth Chocolate Bitters
- Orange Zest
Preparation: Add all ingredients to a rock glass with ice and stir. Squeeze orange zest over the drink.
- 60 ml (2 oz.) Vodka
- 10 ml (1/3 oz.) Dry Vermouth
- 2 dashes The Bitter Truth Olive Bitters
Preparation: Stir ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.