Brockmans Gin has announced the winners of the 2018 Brockmans World Gin Day competition, a contest to find the world’s favorite #Brocktail created using the ‘gin like no other’.
This year’s competition attracted 242 entries from bars in 18 countries around the world. By public vote, bartender Kal Ruparell from Leicester, UK took home first place with his Brockmans Gin inspired Betty Brown (aka Gin-Dependant-Woman) cocktail. The two runners-up hail from Moscow and Portugal.
Winner Kal Ruparell, 37, who owns and runs 33Cankstreet, is already a multiple-prize winner but says that this is the biggest cocktail prize he’s won to date.
“I am extremely pleased and proud to have successfully competed against so many bartenders from so many countries around the world. I see this as a win for all the bars in Leicester, helping put the City firmly on the map.”
– Kal Ruparell
In addition to the global winners, four U.S. based bartenders received Merit Awards as top vote getters in their respective markets. The Global and U.S. ‘Brocktail’ winners include:
- Betty Brown (aka Gin-Dependant Woman) by 33CankStreet., Leicester, UK – Bartender, Kal Ruparell.
- Stan Moskowitz by Levaldva in Moscow, Russia – Bartender, Anton Maltsev Gonzatti.
- The Red Fog by Maçãs Club in Sintra Portugal – Bartender, Tuca Di Matheo
U.S. Merit Award Winners:
- Susanoo by Engine Room in Mystic, CT – Bartender, Torin Quinn
- The Mentor by Park Avenue Club, Florham Park, NJ – Bartender, Isabel Tulloch
- November Kiss by Dario’s Restaurant in Fitchburg, MA – Bartender, Elizabeth Bezanson
- Relax, Don’t Do It by Sid Gold’s Request Room in New York, NY – Bartender, Kern Rodriguez
As guests of Brockmans Gin, the three global winners and four U.S. Merit Award winning bartenders will join the most respected minds in mixology at Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans—the world’s premier cocktail festival and spirits industry event.
“Brockmans Gin inspires creativity as it offers so many complex and exciting botanical notes. To have entries from so many countries and many of the top bars in the world is a testament to the extent of our global reach and the affection in which Brockmans is held internationally.”
– Bob Fowkes, Co-Founder and Marketing Director, Brockmans Gin
To see the winning cocktail recipes, visit BrockmansGin.com.