Like it hot and spicy?
There is an art to crafting a cocktail that has the right balance of flavor to make it enjoyable for those who like it hot. The trick, similar to when you are cooking with spices, is to go slow, taste as you go, and add as needed. Using chili peppers in cocktails is no exception.
Jalapeño, habañero, and even bell peppers (though not as spicy) heat up our palates in the latest cocktail creations. Some spirits companies have jumped into the fray by introducing lines of pepper-infused flavors, while others now offer chile liqueurs perfect for an added cocktail kick
Spice up your end of summer with one of these hot cocktail creations. Milk chaser optional.
Cucumber Matcha Margarita
Courtesy of Haru, NYC
- 3 each Fresh Cucumber Slices
- 2 each Jalapeño Slices
- 2 each Mint Leaves
- 1 1/2 oz. Avión Silver Tequila
- 1/2 oz. Luxardo
- 1/2 oz. Agave Syrup
- 1/4 tsp. Matcha Powder
- Cucumber Wheel and Mint Sprig, for Garnish
Preparation: Muddle cucumber, jalapeño and mint in a mixing glass. Add remaining ingredients and ice, then shake vigorously for 8-10 seconds. Strain into an ice-filled rocks glass. Garnish with cucumber wheel and mint.
GREY GOOSE® High Five
Courtesy of Guillaume Jubien, GREY GOOSE Ambassador
- 1 1/2 oz. GREY GOOSE Vodka
- 1 oz. Watermelon Juice (Cold Press)
- 2 oz. Coconut Water (Cracked Open)
- 1/2 oz. Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz. Habañero Pepper Syrup*
- Red-Hot Chili Pepper (for Garnish)
Preparation: Combine all ingredients in a shaker and shake with ice. Strain over fresh ice in a long glass and garnish.
*Habañero Pepper Syrup
- 1 Habañero Pepper, Sliced and De-seeded
- 32 oz. Water
- 1 lb. Sugar
Preparation: Heat up in a pan and dissolve sugar until it becomes a syrup. Slice 1 Habañero pepper without seed and infuse cooling down syrup. Strain out and it’s ready.
Courtesy of T.J. Palmieri, Mixologist
- 1 1/2 oz. Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- 1/2 oz. Yuzu Juice
- 1/2 oz. Simple Syrup
- 1 slice of Jalapeño (Seeded)
- Lime Wheel and Jalapeño Slice, for Garnish
Preparation: Muddle the jalapeño in the simple syrup then add the other ingredients. Shake and double-strain into an ice filled rocks glass. Tip: the more you muddle, the spicier the drink! Garnish with a skewered lime wheel and jalapeño slice.
The Beautiful Red Bell
Inspired by Manifesto, Kansas City, MO. Courtesy of Cookie and Kate
- 1/3 of a Red Bell Pepper (Sliced Into 2″ Long Strips)
- 5 or 6 Basil Leaves
- 1/2 Lime (Juiced)
- 1 1/2 oz. Gin (Preferably at Room Temperature)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. Agave Nectar (Optional, Adds Sweetness)
Preparation: In a shaker, combine red pepper, basil and lime juice. Muddle thoroughly, until the red pepper is thoroughly smashed. It shouldn’t have any crunch left to it. Add gin and lots of ice. Shake like crazy. Strain and pour into a chilled glass and garnish with chili peppers.
Camelback Jalapeño Margarita
Courtesy of JW Marriott Camelback Inn Resort & Spa
- 3 slices of Jalapeño (with Seeds)
- 1 1/2 oz. Patron Silver Tequila
- 1/2 oz. Cointreau
- 1 1/2 oz. Lime Sour (Equal Parts Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice and Simple Syrup)
- Red Pepper Slice and Jalapeño Slice, for Garnish
Preparation: Muddle jalapeños, then add all ingredients and shake with ice. Pour entire mixture into a glass with a salted rim; do not strain. Garnish with a red pepper slice and jalapeño.
Grapefruit Jalapeño Gazpacho Punch
- 2 parts SVEDKA Grapefruit Jalapeño Vodka
For the Gazpacho:
- 6 Ripe Tomatoes, Halved with Stems Removed
- 1 Cucumber, Peeled and Chopped
- 1 stick Celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup Cilantro Leaves
- 1 Red Chili Pepper, Seeds Removed
- 3 cups Baby Spinach Leaves
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 4 oz. Cold Water
- Red Chili and Cilantro Spring, for Garnish
Preparation: Build gazpacho ingredients in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds until smooth. After chilling the gazpacho for two hours, pour 2 parts SVEDKA Grapefruit Jalapeño into a rocks glass, top with gazpacho and stir. Garnish with red chili and cilantro sprig.
Courtesy of SVEDKA Vodka
- 2 parts SVEDKA Grapefruit Jalapeño
- 1 part Elderflower Liqueur
- 1/2 part Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 part Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 Strawberry Slices
- 2 Orange Slices
- Pinch of Mint
- Club Soda
- Sliced Strawberries, Sliced Orange, and Mint, for Garnish
Preparation: Lightly muddle fruit and mint in the bottom of a collins glass. Fill with ice, and add remaining liquid ingredients. Top with club soda. Garnish with sliced strawberries, sliced orange and mint.