Historically, grapefruit has been used in cocktails for decades.
In the 1920s, the Brown Derby used grapefruit as its sour component. Today, the Paloma is a tequila-based classic. The sweet/tart balance pairs beautifully in the right cocktails, balancing bitterness and complementing botanicals. The grapefruit is here to stay.
AFROHEAD Rum Summer Punch
- 1 bottle AfroHead Seven Year Rum
- 1 cup Fresh Grapefruit Juice
- 1 cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 cup Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Aperol
- 1 cup Soda Water
- Grapefruit slice and a Sprig of Tarragon, for Garnish
Preparation: Combine all ingredients and garnish with fresh fruit and tarragon.
- 2 oz. Koval Bourbon
- 1/2 oz. St. Germain
- 1/2 oz. Onion Brown Sugar All Spice Syrup (See Below)
- 1/4 oz. Letherbee’s Besk (A Bitter Spirit Like Malört)
- 2 dashes Grapefruit Bitters
- Grapefruit Twist, for Garnish
Preparation: Stir all ingredients together and serve on the rocks. Garnish with a grapefruit twist.
For Onion Brown Sugar All Spice Syrup: Combine 12 cup each chopped onion, brown sugar, and water in a sauce pan and simmer until combined. Add 1/2 tsp. allspice or more to taste. Strain and store in refrigerator.
- 1 oz. NOLET’S Silver Dry Gin
- 3/4 oz. Maraschino Liqueur
- 1/2 oz. Lemon/Lemon Simple
- 1 wheel Fresh Grapefruit
Preparation: Muddle wheel of grapefruit. Add maraschino, lemon/lemon simple and gin. Shake and pour into rocks glass.
- 2 oz. Milagro Silver Tequila
- 1/2 oz. Simple Syrup
- 1/2 oz. Grapefruit Juice
- 1/2 Moon-shaped Orange Slice
- 4 Lime Wedges, Plus 1 for Garnish
Preparation: Muddle lime wedges, simple syrup, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, orange slice, and tequila until limes and orange have released all their juices. Shake with ice and strain with fine mesh strainer into salted, ice-filled glass. Garnish with a lime wheel.
- 1 1/2 oz. Boodles Gin
- 3/4 oz. Sweet Vermouth
- 3/4 oz. Campari
- 1 oz. Grapefruit Juice
- 2 oz. Soda Water
- Sea Salt
- Grapefruit Peel, for Garnish
Preparation: Quickly shake gin, vermouth, bitter liqueur, grapefruit juice and a small pinch of sea salt. Strain in Collins glass over ice and add 2 oz. soda water. Add another small pinch of sea salt and garnish with long grapefruit peel.