The Macallan, the world’s most admired single malt Scotch whisky, has unveiled a bold new look across its portfolio in celebration of an exciting new era for the brand—marked by the opening of its innovative new distillery in Speyside, Scotland this summer.
The revamped bottle design draws inspiration from luxury expression The Macallan Rare Cask, modern design cues reflected in the new distillery, and consumer feedback around making the whisky ranges easier to navigate. The refined new look also coincides with the core portfolio being redefined into three ranges that simply reflect the types of cask used to mature The Macallan; Sherry Oak Cask, Double Cask and Triple Cask Matured.
The new product design includes:
- A proprietary broad-shouldered bottle with a distinctive chevron cut that tapers toward the neck
- A clear color-coding system and icons to identify different ranges based on cask make-up
- Amplified collectability on the core premium ages by enhancing the wooden boxes for all expressions 25 Years or older by using real oak, reflecting The Macallan’s exceptional oak casks
- Expressions 18 Years or older feature new, elevated packaging and a heavier glass weight bottle with wider shoulders and larger base
- An anti-refill enclosure and anti-counterfeit technology to ensure that consumers are protected at the point of purchase
“With this bold new design, we are highlighting the extraordinary whisky inside the bottle as we show off its unmistakable characteristics, like all-natural color, which we at The Macallan and every whisky enthusiast worldwide really value. While the whisky remains unchanged, the new bottle can be displayed anywhere from a world-class bar to a bar cart at home, making the same lasting impression.”
– Sam Leotta, Senior Brand Manager at The Macallan
The new bottles are now available across the United States. The core portfolio will now be broken into three distinct ranges, clearly identified to consumers by cask types’ signifiers on each bottle:
- Sherry Oak Range: A rich and intense range of single malt whiskies matured in hand-picked Sherry-seasoned oak casks from Jerez, Spain. The European oak reveals an intensely rich character and style of whisky with complex flavors of dried fruits and sweet spices.
- Double Cask Range: Maturation in hand-picked Sherry-seasoned American and Sherry-seasoned European oak casks delivers a range combining the classic Macallan style with the unmistakable predominance of American oak. The result is an approachable yet complex style of the Macallan, rich in flavor, with a viscous mouth feel.
- Triple Cask Matured Range: Matured in Sherry-seasoned European, Sherry-seasoned American oak casks and ex-bourbon American oak casks. The Macallan Triple Cask Matured range offers an extraordinarily smooth, delicate yet complex character.
As part of this, the Fine Oak range, launched in 2004, will be renamed Triple Cask Matured. Fine Oak has always been matured in three different cask types, so renaming it Triple Cask Matured puts it in line with Sherry Oak (one cask type) and Double Cask (two cask types), making it easier to navigate and giving fans a whisky perfect for every occasion.
“We want to make it easy for our consumers to select a whisky that’s right for them and for the many whisky moments they are experiencing. By consolidating our core ranges to Sherry Oak, Double Cask and Triple Cask Matured, we’re able to highlight the unique and rich diversity of whisky styles coming out of our distillery and also encourage new and existing fans to try The Macallan across a variety of flavor profiles suitable for many different occasions.”
– Sam Leotta
For more information, visit US.TheMacallan.com.