Calling all Texas bartenders! Balcones Whisky and Chilled Magazine are kicking off the first-ever Balcones Bartender Challenge!
The original Texas whisky is challenging Lone Star state mixologists to create unique and inspiring cocktails using two of its award-winning whisky expressions: Baby Blue & Texas Rye 100.
Rules and Guidelines
Texas bartenders battle it out to create the most original whiskey cocktail. Stir up the judges with an original concoction using Balcones Baby Blue and/or Texas Rye 100. Judges will select five mixologists to each receive a runner-up prize of $500 and one mixologist to win the grand prize of $5,000. This competition is open to bartenders and mixologists working in Texas only.
- Create the most original whiskey cocktail for a chance to win a grand prize of $5,000. Five runners-up will each receive a $500 prize.
- Original recipes must include at least one or both Baby Blue and/or Texas Rye 100 whisky as ingredients.
- Recipes will be judged according to the name of the cocktail (10 points), appearance/presentation (15 points), written inspiration (25 points), creativity (20 points), and balance of flavors, aroma, and character (30 points).
- All recipes must include a full list of ingredients and preparation/mixing instructions, as well as an image of the cocktail.
- You must be a bartender or mixologist working in the state of Texas to enter.
- Period: May 29 through August 1, 2018.
- All entries due by August 1, 2018.
For more information and to enter, visit chilledmagazine.com/balcones.
Balcones was hand-assembled by its founders in 2008 in a distillery positioned under a bridge in Waco, Texas. In ten short years, it’s become one of the most recognized and acclaimed craft whisky distillers in the world, earning more than 200 awards and accolades since 2009. In 2016, Balcones opened its second distillery in downtown Waco, built inside the historic Texas Fireproof Storage Company building.
About Baby Blue
The first Texas whisky on the market since Prohibition, Baby Blue is crafted from Roasted Blue Corn. This rich and oily maize adds new sophistication to the corn whisky tradition, while keeping the freshness and verve of classic American Distilling. Tasting notes: melted butter, caramel, corn, fresh bread, sugar, sweet tea.
About Texas Rye 100
The Balcones 100% Rye mashbill begins with Elbon Rye from Northwest Texas and is accompanied by crystal, chocolate, and roasted Rye that gives it a rich, sweet mid-palate. Tasting notes: soft charred oak, sourdough bread, creamy buttery toffee.