The Third Limited Release in the Annual Series Features a Sensory Journey of Discovery.
The Macallan, the world’s ultimate luxury single malt Scotch whisky, unveils Edition No. 3, a collaboration between Master Whisky Maker, Bob Dalgarno and Master Perfumist, Roja Dove. This third release in the innovative Edition Series is an extraordinary collaboration uniting the worlds of whisky and aroma to showcase the complexities of single malt character.
Like preceding releases, Edition No. 3 is an exploration into our approach to whisky making, exposing the detail of its creation for true transparency, and showcasing the absolute skill of our Master Whisky Maker. It continues the diverse story of The Macallan’s exceptional oak casks and obsession with wood and remains focused on the commitment introduced with Edition No. 1 and Edition No. 2 to unlock the workings of the intricate whisky making process.
As one of the world’s most respected Master Perfumers whose brand Roja Parfums is at the pinnacle of the fragrance industry, Roja Dove provided his remarkable sensory knowledge and experience to describe distinctive aromas in particular oak casks. Subsequently, Bob Dalgarno utilized this articulation of aromas to select dominant notes to help shape the final character of Edition No. 3.
“Inspiration and innovation lie at the heart of The Macallan and in Edition No. 3 we have collaborated with one of the world’s most respected aroma experts to create a single malt whisky which pushes the boundaries and challenges convention. There are great parallels between the worlds of whisky and perfume and it has been fascinating to work with Roja to explore the power of aroma in individual oak casks and its influence on the resulting whisky.”
– Bob Dalgarno, The Macallan’s Master Whisky Maker
“From the beginning it was obvious Bob and I had a lot in common. We have worked together to master the balance of taste and aroma, resulting in an incredibly flavorsome, fresh and citrus whisky with enveloping sweetness. Edition No. 3 is an exceptional example of the whisky maker’s art, where Bob has interpreted my thoughts so accurately, when combined with the extraordinary power of scent.”
– Roja Dove, Master Perfumer
With an ABV of 48.3% and crafted from a combination of European and American oak casks, Edition No. 3 presents a sweet and fruity character, bringing to the fore notes of vanilla, fresh cut oak, delicate florals, bourbon, crisp green apple and rich fruit cake. An alluring whisky that challenges expectations and reflects the artistic genius of the collaborators who united to curate this distinctive single malt.
Approximately 250,000 bottles of The Macallan Edition No. 3 will be available in all global markets for $95.
- Color: A natural color of Barley gold.
- Aroma: Reminiscent of a fine fragrance, the nose leads with vanilla ice cream, fresh cut oak and delicate florals. Orange oil provides subtle grandeur while ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg flit in and out. Vanilla imparts sweetness, leading citrus fruits forward then allowing chocolate to show. Burnished oak delivers a soft ending.
- Palate: A sensory journey of flavor and aroma intimately entwined, the palate is sweet fruit and vanilla and rich fruit cake with suggestions of apricot, pear and crisp green apple. Hints of ginger and cinnamon are balanced with a light resinous oak finale.
- Finish: The finish is long, sweet and fruity, leaving a lasting impression on the senses.
For more information, visit TheMacallan.com.