The Lustau Luau took place at Pouring Ribbons on Monday, July 29, and the theme was everyone’s favorite—tiki! The event was organized in order to announce the four finalists of the 2019 Solera Standout Competition.
The four mixologists will travel to Spain in September to battle it out in a final competition for a chance to win the $1,000 cash prize. The event was filled with an estimated 30-35 guests in attendance. Will Patton (one of the four finalists this year) was also able to join, as was last year’s winner, Devin Kennedy, who bartended throughout the evening and prepared special cocktails, including his winning drink, “The Rule of Three.” The final four cocktail recipes and images for this year’s Solera Standout competition were displayed on a tiki hut at the venue.
Even if you didn’t make it to the event, you can live vicariously through these four cocktails, made by each of the finalists.
Tie Me Down!
Created by Will Patton
- 1.25 oz. Palo Cortado Peninsula
- .5 oz. Brandy de Jerez Solera Reserva
- .5 oz. Pistachio Fat-Washed Gin
- .5 oz. Lustau East India Solera
- .25 oz. Cherry Syrup
- Brandied Cherry (to Garnish)
Preparation: Add all ingredients to a shaker tin with ice. Shake and strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with a brandied cherry.
Created by Davey Dave Anderson
- 1 oz. Lustau Manzanilla Papirusa
- 1 oz. Lustau Vermut Blanco
- .5 tsp. Absinthe
- .75 oz. Simple Syrup
- .75 oz. Lime Juice
- 4 Thai Basil Leaves, Divided
Preparation: Lightly muddle 3 Thai basil leaves in a Collins glass. Add the liquid ingredients, along with ice, and stir. Garnish with the remaining basil leaf.
Created by David Leon
- 1.5 oz. Lustau Moscatel Emilin
- .5 oz. Lustau Oloroso Don Nuno
- .75 oz. Pineapple Juice
- .75 oz. Apple Cinnamon Lustau Fino Jarana Shrub
- .5 oz Lime Juice
- Pineapple Frond (to Garnish)
Preparation: Add all liquid ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with a pineapple frond.
Created by Cesar Perez II
- 1 oz. Lustau Solera Gran Reserva Finest Selection
- .5 oz. Giffard Vanille de Madagascar
- 1 oz. Hibiscus Tea
- .5 oz. Clarified Lime Cordial
- .5 oz. Lustau Amontillado Los Arcos
- 1 dash Scrappy’s Firewater Tincture
- 10 Mint Leaves
Preparation: Add all liquid ingredients to a shaker tin with ice. Shake and strain into a Collins glass filled with fresh ice. Garnish with the mint leaves.