Recipe by Tommy Pickett
- 2 oz. Harleston Green Scotch
- .75 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
- .75 oz. Oak barrel simple syrup ~3 pumps of Monin oak barrel concentrate into 1 quart simple syrup~
- 3 dashes Burlesque Bitters
- 3 Honey Absinthe ice cubes ~1 part honey 3 parts water 1 dash absinthe every 100ml~
- Papa Bear Rim- ~1 part black sesame seed, 1 part sugar, 1 part charred lemon ash~ all ground up
Preparation: First, grab a rocks glass and rim the glass in the Papa Bear rim mix, and add 3 Papa Bear honey absinthe cubes. Add Harleston Green Scotch. Lemon. Oak Barrel Simple Syrup. And Burlesque Bitters into a shaker. Then fill large shaker tin with ice and using a Hawthorne strainer, Roll and throw ingredients to carefully mix, dilute and chill the cocktail without over dilution or shaking. Strain the cocktail into your glass. And there you have a Papa Bear!
Garnish: Papa Bear Rim, 3 Cubes
I first got the inspiration for this cocktail with the cubes themselves and the rest fell in place after that. I found hive shaped ice cube tray which reminded me of bees and honey. But after that I connected the rest, who loves honey? A bear! And if a papa bear could have a drink it’d be a hearty one. So I decided on using harvesting green scotch. It’s beautifully complimented with the cubes to balance the cocktail and is given the extra smokiness from the oak barrel simple syrup. I wanted this cocktail to be three dimensional with the cubes, so as you enjoy this cocktail, it will become sweeter and stronger as you sip on it. But what could make it better? A good ol’ funky rim job. So I mixed the black sesame, sugar and lemon ash to make an extra subtle flavor to compliment Harleston Green’s beautiful smoky aroma. And there you have the Papa Bear!