Getting Back Together with Your Ex
Recipe by Lizzy Vestal
- 1.5 oz Harleston Green Scotch
- 1.5 oz Lychee and Guajillo Pepper Syrup
- 2 dashes of Orange Bitters
- Garnish with Dried Baby’s Breath
In a tin
- Add Ice.
- 1.5 oz. Harleston Green Scotch.
- 1.5 oz. Lychee and Guajillo Pepper Syrup.
- Shake and strain into a rocks glass over new ice.
- Top with 2 dashes of Orange Bitters.
Garnish: Dried Baby’s Breath
Glassware: Rocks Glass
When creating cocktails I always look to go for the simplest route, to really highlight the true flavors of the alcohol being used. This Scotch had hints of sweets fruits, such as Lychee, and a nice peppery spice. I wanted to highlight those flavors by making a very flavorful syrup using Lychee and dried Guajillo peppers; sweet from the start and slow heat at the end. The Orange bitters add a bit of acidity and tartness that is needed to balance the the sweet and spicy mix. The final garnish of Baby’s Breath is used to hone in on the floral scents that the Scotch gives at first smell. They are also used to soften the somewhat intense flavors and look of this cocktail. Hence the name “Getting back together with your ex;” sweet in the beginning but will burn you in the end.