Recipe by Trevor Cabal
- 2 oz. Harleston Green Scotch
- 0.5 oz. Ginger Honey Cordial*
- 0.5 oz. Fresh Squeezed Meyer Lemon Juice
- 1 oz. Wódka Vodka Spiked Pineapple, Papaya and Aloe Soda**
- 0.5 oz. Smoked Chocolate and Cynar spiked Huitlacoche Foam***
- Add Huitlacoche mixture and sunflower lecithin powder (to help bind) to 1/8 hotel pan and using a hand blender, aerate the liquid for 3 minuets to create the foam.
- In a shaking tin add scotch, cordial and lemon. Add ice a shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Strain into old fashioned glass. Ice 6 1/2” ice cubes. Layer with soda then add foam to top like a cloud. Add garnish and serve.
Honey Ginger Cordial
- 16 oz. Fresh Ginger Juice
- 8 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 8 oz. Honey
- 6 oz. Water
- 8 oz. Wódka Vodka
Juice approximately 1.8 lbs of ginger root and with 9 whole lemons. Add juice to water and honey. Pour liquid into med sauce pan and simmer for 15 minuets to reduce by 1/4. Remove from heat and add vodka. Let the liquid cool at room temp for 30 minuets. Pour liquid through triple layer cheese cloth and store in a non-reactive glass jar for up to 8 months. Refrigerate
**Wódka Spiked Pineapple, Papaya and Aloe Soda
- 1 Ripe Pineapple
- 1 Ripe Papaya
- 1 Aloe Leaf
- 16 oz. Wódka Vodka
Peel, core and cube both the pineapple and papaya, set aside. Filet the aloe leaf and was clean to remove any latex and toxic qualities. Juice the pineapple, papaya and aloe together. And vodka and store in a non-reactive glass jar for up to 22 days. To make soda… add all liquid to iSi and use Co2 to carbonate.
***Smoked Chocolate and Cynar Spiked Huitlacoche Foam
- 60 gr 75% Mexican Chocolate, I used Ritual
- 16 oz. Huitlacoche, fresh or frozen
- 8 oz. Cynar Ricette
- 1 gr Cherry Wood Smoking Wood
- 1 Smoking Gun
- 1 Smoking Dome with Non-Reactive Plate
Using a microplane, shred Chocolate. Place shredded chocolate on plate and place under smoking dome. Using smoking gun and cherry wood, introduce smoke into dome over Chocolate. (Some will melt, that’s okay) let the chocolate rest with the smoke for 2 minuets then remove for smoke and set aside. Using a high power blender, add Huitlacoche and Cynar. Blend into purée.
Add the Huitlacoche purée and chocolate to medium saucepan and cook and medium heat for 10 minuets. (The liquid will turn almost black from the Huitlacoche). Remove from heat and allow to cool at room temp for 30 minute. Run through triple layer cheese cloth and store in non-reactivate jar for up to 6 days.
Garnish: Pineapple frond and 4” lemon twist attached with mini clothespin
Glassware: Old Fashioned Glass
I’m a huge fan of “putting culture in the cup”. And with the [anti]biotic, I set out to represent 4 separate cultures… Scotland, Mexico, Poland and Austin, TX. Scotland’s beautiful landscape and deep seeded spirit history. Mexico’s lively energy and beautiful colors. Poland’s somewhat hidden yet precocious bar scene. Austin as my hometown and the Mecca of growth. My inspiration for flavors coincide with each culture while highlighting the tropical yet smoke bound flavors of Harleston Green Scotch. Since my cocktail inspiration stemmed from
The Penicillin cocktail, I decided to work with Huitlacoche as an ingredient to add another medicinal fungi to the mix. i.e. what the brackets around the word anti represent.