A Real Fungi
Recipe by Sara Newton
- 1.5 oz. Porcini-Infused Wódka Vodka
- .75 oz. Kuma Turmeric Liqueur
- .75 oz. Lemon
- .5 oz. Beet Simple
- 1 Egg White
- 2 dashes Scrappy’s Celery Bitters
- Infuse 8 Dried Porcini mushrooms into a bottle of Wodka Vodka for 48 hours. Strain and store in bottle.
- Cook 4 Large Red Beets in water until medium soft- remove 2 cups of beet liquid and add to 2 cups of sugar, stir, strain and store. Remove skins on beets and slice thin for garnish.
- Add ingredients to shaker tin, dry shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds, add ice and shake again for 10 seconds.
- Double strain into coupe.
Garnish: Bitter Fleurette and Cooked Beet
Glassware: Coupe Glass
It’s currently fall in the PNW, which means mushroom-hunting season. I was thinking about how fun it would be to incorporate traditional savory ingredients into a refreshing and vegetal fall cocktail. I was pleasantly surprised with just how nicely everything worked together. The sweet earthiness of the mushrooms hangs over the cocktail, greeting your senses when you smell it and then you taste it–the earthy spiciness of the turmeric liqueur, the minerality of the beets, and the brightness of the celery work together to create a bright and fresh vegetal cocktail.