Bold & Beautiful
Recipe by Ruben Michael
- 2 oz. Balcones Texas Rye
- bar spoon Sweet Smoke*
- 3 dashes Angostura Bitters
- Time Capsule**
- Smoke cherry wood chips and time capsule spread on a cedar plank board with a flamed lemon peel.
- Place glass upside down on top of wood chips upside down.
- In mixing glass: Add 3 dashes angostura bitters.
- Add bar spoon of sweet smoke.
- Add 2 oz. of Balcones Texas Rye.
- Add block ice and stir 60 rotations.
- Turn rocks glass back over facing up, add large ice rock.
- Julep strain contents of mixing glass into smoked rocks glass.
- Add garnish and serve.
Infused luxardo, cinnamon, vanilla syrup in equal parts
Coconut espresso pods soaked in Balcones Rum
Garnish: Flamed Lemon Peel
Glassware: Vintage Rocks
I’m rooted in my classics and try not to get too fancy… My fingerprints are all over this evolution of this Texas Rye! So I wanted to pay tribute to the great professor Jerry Thomas, considered to be the original barman, aka The Godfather! Enough said!!! I still love to get creative and push what the modern palate can take, as far as drinking. I get that clients sometimes want to be wowed! So cheers to you guys! This robust Rye mashbill gives a rich, sweet mild palate, layers of chocolate over leather, tobacco, oak, and spice notes… Shall we! On deck, we have a time capsule of coconut espresso pods soaked in my fav out of the Texas lineup fam, Balcones Rum. Indeed, a reverent spin-off for you whisky drinkers, you’re sure to find this, bold wood, vanilla and caramel whisky-like spirit in my portfolio… Mix infused pods with smoked cherry wood sprinkled over a cedar plank board. Smoked glass along with a flamed lemon peel. Sit back, taste your cigar and watch the magic happen, you might actually learn something on this modern classic…