On Sunday, November 13th, 2016, Fernet-Branca landed in the Bay Area to celebrate 10 years of the Fernet-Branca Barback Games held at The Regency Ballroom in San Francisco.
The Fernet-Branca Barback Games has been the Bay Area’s flagship industry event and 2016 marks the 10th anniversary of recognizing the unsung heros of the bar industry – the barbacks! The only event of its kind challenges barbacks against each other in a competition of skill and endurance for the title of Best Barback In The Country. What began as a single-market event in San Francisco ten years ago has since expanded into New York, Chicago, Boston, and San Diego.
This year, 50+ barback participants from some of the most well-respected establishments throughout the Bay Area (Dr. Teeth, Park Tavern, Sotto Mare, Make Westing, LihoLiho, ACME Bar & Company, Comstock Saloon, Rye, Monarch and Trick Dog) took center stage to compete in timed events which included: Bottle Relay, Beer Restocking, Spill Clean Up, and Keg Changing Relay. Ten local judges observed each competition to determine who would be crowned next best barback in the USA!
Steve Moot (the SoCal Barback Games Winner) of Saloon BBQ in Ventura, CA
San Francisco Winner:
Gianna Burns from Black Cat
List of Past San Francisco Winners:
- 2008 – Kevin Demmattia of Zeitgeist
- 2009 – Christopher Pineda of Mist
- 2010 – Vincent Toscano of Rye Bar
- 2011 – Jahaziel Garay of Infusion Lounge
- 2012 – Greg Robertson of Monarch
- 2013 – Shane Boylan of Best Beverage Catering
- 2014 – Dante Fountain of Willie’s Seafood & Raw Bar
- 2015 – Jose Garcia of Owl Tree
- 2016 – Gianna Burns from Black Cat
For more information, visit FernetBrancaBarbackGames.com.