Popular TV chef and author Julia Child was born on August 15, 1912 in Pasadena, California and would have been celebrating her 100th birthday. Her birthday and legacy are being celebrated across the nation with recipes being made in her honor. Cultural phenomena, Julia Child, introduced the world to complex French cooking adapted for everyday with her two-volume cookbook called Mastering the Art of French Cooking, which was considered groundbreaking. She also is a television icon with her popular cooking shows such as The French Chef.
In her fifth cookbook, Julia Child and Company, the celebrated chef adds, “spirits and liquor are full of empty calories and need to be omitted by serious dieters.” Which inspired her favorite cocktail, the Angosoda, a simple and sophisticated recipe made with Perrier Sparkling Natural Mineral Water. Created specifically for that book, The Angosoda is easy to make, full of flavor and memorable.
Julia Child Fun Facts
- Julia Child won several Awards – including an Emmy and a Peabody.
- Her first cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, was published in September 1961. It was the bestselling cookbook for five years straight. 2.5 million copies have been sold.
- Julia Child wrote a total of 17 cookbooks.
- Notable actors have portrayed Julia Child including Meryl Streep and Dan Aykroyd.
Angosoda Cocktail Recipe
- 1 Dash of Angostura Bitters
- 1 Slice Lime
- 6 oz. Perrier Sparkling Natural Mineral Water
In a large, handsome, stemmed glass, place several cubes of ice. Dash on a few drops of Angostura Bitters. Add a slice of lime. Fill with sparkling water.