Recipe by Alexandria Jump
- 1 1/2 oz. Lustau Brandy de Jerez Solera Gran Reserva
- 1 oz. Lustau Manzanilla Pasada de Sanlúcar
- 1/4 oz. Leopold’s New York Sour Apple Liqueur
- 1/4 oz. Lemon Juice
- 1/4 oz. Milk Syrup
- 6-8 dashes Marcona Almond & Goat Cheese Tincture
Preparation: Combine all ingredients into a cocktail shaker & top with ice. Shake well & fine strain into a chilled Nick & Nora glass. Garnish with a Manzanilla Olive & an additional spray of the Almond & Goat Cheese Tincture.
- 200 g Superfine Sugar
- 200 ml Whole Milk (Organic if Possible!)
- 15 g Citric Acid Powder
- 85 ml Water
- Combine citric acid & water to create a 20% citric acid solution
- Combine sugar & milk in a sealable container like a quart deli. Shake vigorously until well combined.
- Add 1/2 oz of the citric acid solution to 500 ml of the milk syrup. Stir to combine.
- Store in fridge!
- 4 oz. Blanched Marcona Almonds
- 1 oz. Mone Enebro Goat Cheese (or any similar soft ripened Goat’s Cheese, i.e. Bucheron)
- Combine Marcona Almonds & Goat Cheese in a mason jar. Pour enough Vodka into jar to cover the almonds & cheese, but no more (should be less than 5 oz of Vodka).
- Let sit in the fridge for at least 12 hours, but up to 48 hours
- Strain & jar. The tincture may be cloudy, but that is ok. Leave jar in fridge when not in use.
Garnish: 1 Manzanilla Olive
Glassware: Nick & Nora
Sitting around the table after dinner while discussing sports, politics, world news, family business, et al. shouldn’t sound like any kind of foreign affair, but in the United States, it is a concept that has nearly been forgotten. In Spain, however, “La Sobremesa” represents the time that families spend together after a meal. Literally translated, it means “over the table”, which is appropriate, since the term represents the delicate time that people spend together while sitting at the dining room table.
My cocktail is meant to be a representation of that time spent together, perhaps while snacking on a plate of Spanish provisions like Goat’s Cheese, Jamón, & Marcona Almonds. The flavors of intense dried fruits & rich walnuts & almonds in Lustau’s Brandy de Jerez Solera Gran Reserva are the backbone of this cocktail, while Lustau’s Manzanilla Pasada de Sanlúcar & Leopold’s Sour Apple Liqueur provide saline, acidity & a rich green apple flavor. The cocktail is completed with a Marcona Almond & Goat Cheese Tincture which enhances the salinity & nuttiness of the Manzanilla Sherry.
Imagine sipping on this cocktail after dinner while chatting with friends & family about your day… Regardless of if you are sitting outside on the patio in Sanlúcar, waves rolling in the distance, the wind dragging the smell of salt & sherry through the air, or if you are sitting on your patio in Brooklyn, NY with the sounds of the city surrounding you, this cocktail should bring you the feeling of Sobremesa.